Saturday, June 22, 2013

Welcome to my welcome to the world of fatherhood!

Within many of the blog posts to come, you will be subjected to the musings and possibly even rantings of a sleep-deprived man who is just beginning his journey. This mission, whether I accept it or not is to become the greatest father possible, or die trying. This notice will not self-destruct in thirty seconds, but that would be freaking cool for a blog.

Anyway, I'm Pops. This is my ongoing saga of fatherhood and all that it entails. I know a plethora of good fathers in my life and I appreciate them all in their own way with their respective families, but I also know that each family comes with different circumstances and I need to do the best I can with our circumstances for the sake of my girls.That said, I also know a few fathers which I'm not quite sure that I should call "fathers". Just doing the biological work doesn't cut it. To be a father, you not only have to be there for your children and put in your time. You have to put in the effort too and that is my goal.

Time for a little bit of background. I am a thirty-one year old man with a thirty year old wife. We have been married since 2010, together since 2008. Since the wedding, my wife and I had decided to start trying to conceive. This proved to be more difficult than expected, to say the least. We tried the "natural" way for almost a full year before seeking medical help. After a full battery of fertility tests, IUI's, SA tests (which I will document in full later on), and a crap-ton of bloodwork, eventually we made the choice to try IVF. Our "undiagnosed infertility" (Yeah, try to get an insurance company to pay after that diagnosis) turned out to be a simple but expensive roadblock that we were able to bypass.

In September 2012, we rolled the dice and implanted two of our seven fertilized embryos and eight weeks later discovered that we were having fraternal twins! It wasn't until the holiday season that we found out that they were both girls. Woot! In May, we welcomed Tesla and Ruby into our family and the adventure had begun.

That's enough about me. On with the blogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment